Each year in New Zealand about 9,000 people have a stroke.
A stroke is a brain attack. The blood supply to part of the brain is cut off.
Delayed recognition of a stroke can have tragic consequences, including further damage to the brain or death.
Stroke is always a medical emergency. Call 111 immediately if you see any signs.
Please help spread the word by discussing the FAST campaign and sharing the materials with others.
Know the signs of stroke – think FAST
The aim of the FAST campaign is to raise awareness that stroke is always a medical emergency, to help people know the signs, and to urge people to act if they see any signs of a stroke by calling 111 immediately.
The 2018 FAST campaign builds on the success of past national FAST campaigns in 2016 and 2017. The Ministry of Health and Health Promotion Agency worked with the Stroke Foundation of New Zealand on the campaign.
It runs from July to September 2018 on channels such as television, radio, and digital advertising.
FAST is a mnemonic used internationally to help people remember some signs of stroke.
What are the key messages?
- A stroke is a brain attack. The blood supply to part of the brain is cut off.
- A stroke is always a medical emergency, call 111 immediately.
- A stroke can happen to anyone at any time – it could be someone you know or the person next to you. They could be younger than you expect.
- Each year about 9,000 people in New Zealand have a stroke.
- It is important to recognise when someone is having a stroke and to start medical treatment as soon as possible because fast treatment can reduce brain damage and mean better outcomes.
- Even if you are not sure it is a stroke – it is important if you see any of the signs to call 111 immediately.
- Acting FAST can save lives, give people the best chance of recovery, and reduce ongoing costs from stroke to families, caregivers and communities.
What is the call to action?
Know the signs of stroke, think FAST:
- F Face – is their face drooping on one side?
- A Arm – is one arm weak?
- S Speech – is their speech mixed up, slurred or lost.
- T Take Action - call 111.
Call 111 immediately if you see any signs of stroke.
Interested to know more? Want to help spread the word?
View the television advertisement:
Know the signs of stroke - think FAST (English)
Know the signs of stroke - think FAST (Te reo Māori)
View the stories of stroke survivors whose recovery was helped because people acted FAST:
Listen to the radio advertisements:
A stroke is a brain attack
Workmate's speech - think FAST
Weak arm - think FAST
Download the FAST poster:
Download images for sharing on your emails, in newsletters or social media:
- FAST web tile - 400x300px
- FAST web tile - 770x200px
- FAST web banner/email signature - 728x90px
- FAST Facebook header
- FAST Facebook tile - 400x400
- FAST Facebook tile - 1200x628
- FAST Twitter header
For more information: